Its time to put principle into practice…
Enough with the blogging about the Black dollar, the so-called non existent Black economy, and Blacks not supporting other Blacks. In response to one of my posts syndicated on The FreshXpress, someone made the comment that “Whites buy from Whites, Asians buy from Asians and Whites, Middle-Easterners by from Middle-Easterners, Whites and Asians, Black people buy from Whites, Middle-Easterners and Asians 99% of the time.” So lets start to DO SOMETHING about it!
For the next month, I will buy EVERYTHING I use or consume from Black businesses. Heres what I will need from YOU, the readers and supporters of this site to make this experiment a success (and hopefully, a permanent part of my life)!
I know that this experiment has already been tried by the Anderson family in the video above and I have sent them an email to find out how they have done it, but I think that by conducting this experiment myself and keeping a directory of great Black businesses, I can lay the groundwork for you to start doing the same in a realistic way.
HERES WHAT I NEED FROM YOU TO MAKE THIS A SUCCESS!
If you are or personally know of any black entrepreneurs in the Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky area, please leave their website address, phone number, and the goods and services that they provide in the comments section. If you can SHIP goods purchased from black businesses in your area, you may contact me directly at email@example.com – I will need to speak to you over the phone to make sure that you are legit.
There are some particular products that I will need that I am sure I will have trouble finding, including:
- Fruits, vegetables, teas, cooking oils, and meats from Black growers
- I need Black owned dry cleaners in the Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky area, Black dentists and doctors (is there a website I can go to?), a Black bank, Black owned gas stations, etc
- Soaps, detergents, and other hygiene items (toothpaste, lotion, hair products, deodorants)
- Entertainment items, like DVDs (africanhistorynetwork.com doesnt count, I already frequent the site), books (purchased direct from the authors), phone apps, and music direct from the artists
- Conservative clothing from Black owned labels (for instance, Kwame Jackson’s Krimson ties)
- “Base” materials; multi-purpose items like baking soda or lye that can be used in a variety of ways. Using base materials means I wont have to buy cleaning supplies from grocery stores, but can still maintain my neat-freak standard of living
- Storage containers, plastic bags (zip-loc style), etc
- Office supplies? I dont know how hard it will be to find a black business that sells paper and pens, but I think I might have my work cut out for me!
I think I am out of luck when it comes to batteries, electricity, and water unless all of you can contribute some knowledge in this aspect.
I will be making daily updates and weekly blog posts outlining how well or how poorly this experiment works. Also, please do not think that because you are a half-assed Black business, my patronage is guaranteed! Go back and re-read Problems with Black Businesses to understand why I say that! Conversely, if you are a great provider I will be highlighting you here to give you more exposure and support.
This experiment begins on April 1 and will end on April 30th. I sincerely need your help in making this a success, so fill up the comments section, hit me up on facebook (here), Twitter (here), or via email and help make this project a success!
Remember that the Jew in his political and economic urges is always first a Jew; the white man is first a white man under ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. So you can do no less, BE BLACK; BUY BLACK; THINK BLACK AND ALL ELSE WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF. – Marcus Garvey