I have intentionally not written about the uprisings in the Middle East because I think every pundit with access to a keyboard or touch pad beats the subject to death with every new development. But I cant help touching on the impact of these uprisings on Blacks here in America.
Just a few days ago, President Barack Obama said the uprisings across the Middle East offer a “huge opportunity” for the U.S. and describes the uprisings as “winds of freedom.”
When are we going to get our asses out of the nightclubs, bars, movie theaters, and malls and into the streets to struggle for real change?
Now ask yourself, what exactly are they fighting to be free from? What are they rioting for?
- Are they in the Middle East rioting to end police-state brutality? YES! Who here rioted when 15 year old Chad Holley was hit by a cop car and then beaten senseless as he lay on the ground? Or how about when Oscar Grant was shot in the Back on New Years Day by a Transit cop who was then sentenced to two years with double credit for time already served, reducing his term by 292 days? Or how about when Sean Bell was shot at over 50 times and killed on the morning after his bachelor party? How about when Star footbal recruit Billy Joe Johnson was found dead from a 12-gauge shotgun blast after he was pulled over by George County Sheriff’s Deputy Joe Sullivan for a traffic violation. Sullivan said Johnson shot himself while Sullivan was at his patrol car conducting a driver’s license check…and the Grand Jury in Mississippi let the cop go. Shawn Johnson, Henry Madge, and many thousands of others are great examples of our very own police-state brutality.
- Are they in the Middle East revolting for better access to opportunities without government interference? Yes! Who called for revolution when Kelley Williams-Bolar was arrested and SENTENCED TO FIVE YEARS IN PRISON, SLAPPED WITH A FELONY, FORCED TO SERVE 80 HOURS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE, PAY BACK THE $30,000 THE SCHOOL DISTRICT SPENT ON A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR TO SPY ON HER, AND PLACED ON PROBATION FOR 3 YEARS to give her children better academic opportunities?
- Are they in the Middle East fighting for their freedom? YES! And here we are, the LEAST free people in this country, with an incarceration rate 6 times that of whites! And not because we are “worse” than them, but because of America’s deliberate efforts at mass incarceration. Who amongst you rioted to set the Scott Sisters free?
- Are they in the Middle East fighting to build new nations out of the old ones? YES! And here we are, Black men and women with no nation to call our own, unwilling to die from exhaustion, heartsickness, exposure, exile, or assassination for the one small hope that we can finally have a nation of our own
Now here is America, the most corrupt nation on the planet, supporting the uprisings going on around the world. Would they support an uprising right here in this country? Would they use violence against us, despite statistics that they themselves compiled showing them why we have every reason to demand our own revolution?? If there is any group of people who need to be tearing some shit up, its Blacks in America. We have plenty of great reasons to!
So is it time, Black people? If not now, how much more atrocious must conditions become before it will be enough? How many more of our children must be beaten in the streets by police, killed in the womb by Eugenicists, unlawfully imprisoned and made to slave in an economic system build on white values of exploitation, and denied access to RIGHT education?
When are we going to get our asses out of the nightclubs, bars, movie theaters, and malls and into the streets to struggle for real change? When are we going to stop with the disgusting obsession with media and material and start paying homage to our martyrs? I know that there are many of you who are young, unemployed, who see very few prospects for your future in this country ruled by the same old white values system!
You can be sure that a revolution is coming. And it will either come from us as a unified and clear-headed collective, or from them as a preemptive strike.
So is it time?
Comments from FreshXpress syndicate:
- Asad March 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm
- Joy March 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm
- Eps March 25, 2011 at 10:47 am
- Asad March 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm
- Media Anarchist March 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm
- 24Asad March 17, 2011 at 5:53 pm
- Asad March 17, 2011 at 5:50 pm
- tellylonglegs March 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm
- KD March 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm
- Asad March 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm
- Asad March 17, 2011 at 10:08 pm